Skip to main content

Reaching the Ultimate Goal

It's another hockey story, but taking the perspective of the player...

One Step to the Ultimate Goal

This is it. Sticks drawn at center ice, like a duel between Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker. Only one can win, but it isn’t good versus evil, but the United States Hockey League vs. North American Hockey League. The Fargo-Moorhead Jets need to fend off the Force and keep up the fight. However, with a name like the USHL, and a reputation of top players, and likely National Hockey League draft picks, the Jets have met their match. A winning record and fan support isn’t going to guarantee to get them off the bench.

Thousands of miles spent on gas-guzzling buses, with team logos painted on the side, has brought them to Fargo-Moorhead to play hockey. The junior hockey league is an opportunity for young hockey players to continue to develop their skill, and earn a college scholarship, and continue on with their dream of playing in the NHL.

The rink is packed, and the Plexiglas vibrates from stomping feet on the concrete floor, the fans’ hands clapping and cheering on their home team. Shouts and “ra-ra-rahs” echo throughout the arena. This is what junior hockey is all about.

Former captain for the NAHL Fargo-Moorhead Jets, Andrew Harrison, a 20-year-old native of Temperance Mich., shows up to the old and legendary Carlson Coliseum, in baggy gray sweatpants a jet black zip up sweatshirt, and classy brown moccasins ready for another day of practice.

“Hockey means everything,” he said. “My life revolves around it.”

Across the United States high school boys pack their oversized hockey bags full of gear, clothes, pictures, and video games to last for the season away from home to play for either the USHL or the NAHL. The USHL is the top tier of juniors and is seen as having more depth and skill in their line-up. However, the NAHL is still a contender for those wishing to continue to play hockey in college. The love for the game has brought many players hundreds of miles away from their hometowns and a chance to pursue their hockey career.

Playing high school hockey and then junior hockey is a huge step, and playing junior hockey is a way to make that transition a bit easier, said Brian McDonough, director of marketing and communications for the NAHL.

“The NAHL competition helps players make the transition from midget and high school hockey to college hockey by creating an environment that is highly competitive, encourages skill development and provides time for physical growth and maturity.”

Anytime a player moves up in ranks or levels of hockey it feels good, Harrison said. He compares his status now, to what it was like when he first started playing hockey.

“When you’re little, everyone can play,” he said. “But as you move up, it gets harder and harder, and it feels good to stay at a high level of hockey.”

Andy Dittus, Minot, N.D., age 20, played in the USHL and the NAHL. Dittus knew he wanted to play junior hockey when he played in the Minnesota Elite League as a senior in high school. He was drafted by the USHL’s Green Bay Gamblers following that showcase. He is currently playing with the Fargo-Moorhead Jets, and is returning to the ice after breaking both his collar bones. Sporting a light gray Minot High Magicians Hockey T-shirt, with the Avalanche versus Vancouver NHL game on TV in the background, shows how much time and energy he devotes to this game. Even after breaking his two collar bones on separate occasions, he is still out on the ice, fighting for the puck, fighting for a chance at a scholarship, just like everyone else on the team.

“I grew up playing hockey, and dedicated all my summers, winters, to hockey,” he said. “It’s one of the most important things in my life.”

Although the USHL and NAHL are constructed to help athletes have the opportunity to move on to bigger and better things, the leagues are different in a variety of matters.

“In the USHL there is a lot more skill, and it’s faster paced,” Dittus said.
He also said the teams are more apt to have structured plays and players have a more competitive and serious mindset.

The USHL was first developed in 1979 with a total of seven teams. Now, there are 12 teams, divided into two divisions: East and West. The USHL has been a provider of successful athletes to the NHL and colleges around the country. In 2007, 34 players were drafted to the NHL from the USHL and 162 players committed to Division I schools. Over half of all players in the USHL commit to the next level of hockey, either NHL or Division I. With only about 300 players in the league, the USHL is more competitive for scholarships and draft picks.

Although Harrison has not played in the USHL, as he says with a laugh, because he is “not skilled enough,” his knowledge of hockey and the understanding of both leagues has prepared him to where he is today; ready for a higher caliber of play.

The NAHL Website, www.nahl.com says: “Its primary goal is to enhance the development of its players through top-quality coaching, extensive practice time and a rigorous game schedule. The league is committed to providing these developmental opportunities in conjunction with a commitment to academic support.”

Scouts are more likely to look at the USHL for players and offer scholarships than those who play in the NAHL Harrison said. He has played in the NAHL since he was 16 and hasn’t regretted a moment. He has played well enough this season to be scouted by a few Division I colleges. The Army in New York has shown interest, Lake State, located in Sault St. Marie, Ontario, and the University of Connecticut have also shown interest in having Harrison come and play next year. The NAHL had 56 players commit to a Division I school for the 2007-2008 season, and the Fargo-Moorhead Jets had four of them. The NHL showed interested in two players coming from the NAHL and picked up two St. Louis Bandit players in the NHL draft in 2007. Compared to the USHL, the NAHL isn’t as stacked, but still allows for multiple players to move on. Players are still exposed to Division I schools just like the USHL. However, the NAHL is exceptionally larger than the USHL by about 150 players. That alone, is half of the USHL’s line-up.

The hopes and dreams of a hockey player is the constant motivator to make it to the top. But does it really happen? The NAHL states seven goals of junior hockey: skill development, quality coaching, social maturity, educational advancement, recruiting exposure, advanced competition, and amateur status protection. Dreams do come true. Hard work and dedication pay off in the end, even for those who play in the NAHL.

Phil Fox, a 22 year-old freshman at Northern Michigan University, played juniors for three years, and also competed at both the USHL and NAHL levels. Northern Michigan University is a Division I hockey school, and competes against schools such as University of Michigan, Wayne State, Norte Dame, University of Minnesota Duluth and many more. This level of hockey is different for Fox, but he says he was prepared because he played at the junior level.

“Every game is just as important as the last,” he said. “It’s the same as in college….just gotta win.”

Fox preferred playing in the NAHL because of the relationship he formed with his teammates and the proximity to his hometown.

“Fargo got me re-drafted [into USHL] as a 20-year-old,” he said.

Their future lies within the numbers on the scoreboard at the end of three periods; the pluses and minuses at the end of the season. It’s the goals they made, and the assists they took. For these young men, the ultimate goal is the NHL. For these men, moving hundreds of miles away from their families, girlfriends, and teammates has all proven to be worth the time and effort.

“It’s one step closer to the ultimate goal,” Harrison said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Infertility

So once again I attempt to start my blog on weight loss. However, I've entered a new chapter in my life. Babies. Well not quite yet, but we'll get there. Here's some history..... I was diagnosed with endometriosis in March of 2010, only 3 months after getting married. I had a laparoscopy and had 5-6 different areas. I continued treatment with birth control overlapping each month and when that didn't seem to help the symptoms I started on Lupron. For those of you that are familiar with this product you can attest to its wonderfulness as well as its downfalls. The Lupron put my body into menopause at the age of 24 :) Fun Fun fun!!!! On the first round of shots I did not have a hormone replacement pill which I wish I would have. I had shots every month for 3 months then took a break. In June I had a 3 month dose of Lupron again. The pain continued and I had a second laparoscopy with a tubular dye study in September, and here we are. Our game plan...... My OB/GYN wants to t

Flashback Friday (to two weeks ago...)End of Semester.....I made it

Every year at the start of the semester I say that I'm going to be better about blogging and updating. Well, once again, I've failed to post anything since September. Things tend to get a little crazy 4 weeks after the start of the semester and then I look back and think, "Where did the time go?" As always, I'll give you a recap of how the semester went down.... This post has been a long time coming. Again, I spent countless hours on the road four days a week. It was becoming exhausting, and routine. I was getting burnt out. But the thing about this semester is that there was light at the end of it. I was going to be free from driving 200 miles a day, and be in my student teaching placement, hopefully somewhat close to home. The amount of stress that I endured this semester was more than I thought I would have to manage. Between practicums, night classes, working at the winery, the single mom thing, and then a relationship on top of it all, I'm not sure ho

Does Size Matter?

I have always struggled with accepting my body size and shape. I have never been Barbie thin. My entire life I have always been bigger than my friends, teammates, you name it. It has been an issue that I've struggled with for a really long time. Right after my divorce I was super thin and was working out and teaching group exercises 3 times a week...I loved the way my body looked but I still wasn't happy. While life and stress makes my weight fluctuate, I still am active and enjoy working out. I cannot wait for the gyms to open back up so I have a place to go and lift. I've been running, and even bought a new pair of running shoes. But this post isn't really about me, it's about the idea of what others see my body as. I have been open to dating recently and have been on a handful of dates...none that really amounted to anything. There was one, but it was a total friend zone kind of 6 weeks. Great person, just not the right fit. I had a date this weekend and i