Skip to main content

Better Late than Never

This post if definitely overdue! As was my pregnancy, I will take this time to recap......

October 11, 2012 7pm

My husband and I arrived at the hospital to check in for my induction. The day had finally come where I wasn't going to get bumped from the schedule. I was more than ready to get this baby out.

They got me to my room and I changed into my lovely hospital gown. The nurses had me fill out a 10 page questionnaire about everything! I was hooked up to the monitors and was contracting :) Nothing major, but I was having some consistent contractions, which means, I had been contracting for at least about the past week, but nothing to progress me into full blown labor. They administered the drug cytotec to get my body going. They can give the drug every 4 hours if things aren't progressing. Then they would give me pitocin at 6am and see how things would go from there. They monitored my belly for about a half hour and then told me to start walking. We walked and walked and walked and walked. I asked if there was a larger loop to take because I was walking so fast that I was getting bored of the same pictures on the walls.

Within about 45 minutes, things were progressing and it was starting to hurt. My mom and dad had been walking with me in the halls while my husband went back home because he forgot some things. He was planning on nothing happening much that night so he didn't want to be bored.

My water broke all over the floor and through my sweat pants. What a watery mess. They monitored me again for another 30 - 45 minutes. The pain was increasing and I was wanting to try and get in the labor tub. I had to wait until they were done monitoring me. Well, by that time, I was in so much pain I couldn't move. I wanted pain meds now! The baby's stats were not doing well, so they needed to give me fluids first before they could give me any meds. Nurse, after nurse came in to try and start and iv. After 3 blown veins, and at least 6 different nurses from a variety of departments in the hospital they finally called in an anesthesiologist. Two hours later he could barely find a vein himself, but he was successful and I was on my way to having some relief.

The contractions during those two hours were non-stop. I couldn't catch my breath. There was never a break. They just kept coming, and coming.

At about midnight I had some relief. I'm not sure what happened between the hours of midnight and 2 a.m. but the nurse came in and said that I was ready to push.

I pushed well. I was a rockstar! I pushed for 2 1/2 hours....and then they determined that the baby was turned sideways. They called in the OB/GYN and she got there at 4:45 a.m. They needed to do an assisted delivery. They grabbed the vacuum suction for the baby's head and pulled. This was awful! The amount of pressure was unbearable. I had tears, and was yelling, and screaming. They tried again. Nothing. They tried a 3rd time - this was the last time, before I would be rushed to the OR for a c-section.

Success.....they got the baby out on the 3rd and final pull.

A baby girl....10.12.12 born at 4:57 a.m. 7lbs 9 oz 21 inches long.

KJS

My life will never be the same after that.

She was healthy and I was doing fine. The typical labor pains - for those mothers who have gone through child birth - it is something that only a women can truly understand the amount of pain and energy it takes to get through.

We stayed an extra day for KJ had elevated Bilirubin levels so she had her first day at the spa at 2 days old. Blue lights, sunglasses and a warm bed to "soak" up the rays :)

Today.......

She is now almost 11 weeks old and close to 13 lbs. Life has taken on a new challenge everyday. Having a baby will change your life in a matter of minutes. There is no way to explain it. I couldn't imagine life without her. I do remember what life was like before my baby girl - I could run and go where I pleased. I could go to the gym whenever I wanted and didn't have to worry about taking another person with me.

Life on the marital end had changed as well. I had these ideas of what life would be like when my husband became a dad. I think I may have had too high of expectations. His job is very demanding and he worked nights for the first month of KJ's life. Which meant I was on my own for 24 hours a day, doing everything by myself....which I still am.

Even though I'm back to work, working crazy schedules night and day, I'm still the one feeding, changing, organizing schedules, etc. I just need to realize this is the life I live now with having a baby.

The greatest thing that could have happened is I'm changing jobs - which means I will have a steady normal schedule. None of this flipping back and forth from a night to a day shift. No more nights, or weekends. I will be able to provide a consistent schedule for Miss K

So that has whats been going on the past 11 weeks that I haven't updated.

House Update:

We should be able to get in and paint next week hopefully. The tape and texture guy has been working in there since the kids left for Christmas break. The sooner we can get into our new house the better! I can't wait!!!!!

Now with my new job, I'll be able to teach a consistent class at the Y. I will be teaching a 5:30 spin class every Tuesday night. It will be a nice way to de-stress and get exercise, and do something that I love! I'm hoping to get certified in aquatics and teach a few classes of that sometime too.

Keep the faith!

~A

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Infertility

So once again I attempt to start my blog on weight loss. However, I've entered a new chapter in my life. Babies. Well not quite yet, but we'll get there. Here's some history..... I was diagnosed with endometriosis in March of 2010, only 3 months after getting married. I had a laparoscopy and had 5-6 different areas. I continued treatment with birth control overlapping each month and when that didn't seem to help the symptoms I started on Lupron. For those of you that are familiar with this product you can attest to its wonderfulness as well as its downfalls. The Lupron put my body into menopause at the age of 24 :) Fun Fun fun!!!! On the first round of shots I did not have a hormone replacement pill which I wish I would have. I had shots every month for 3 months then took a break. In June I had a 3 month dose of Lupron again. The pain continued and I had a second laparoscopy with a tubular dye study in September, and here we are. Our game plan...... My OB/GYN wants to t

Flashback Friday (to two weeks ago...)End of Semester.....I made it

Every year at the start of the semester I say that I'm going to be better about blogging and updating. Well, once again, I've failed to post anything since September. Things tend to get a little crazy 4 weeks after the start of the semester and then I look back and think, "Where did the time go?" As always, I'll give you a recap of how the semester went down.... This post has been a long time coming. Again, I spent countless hours on the road four days a week. It was becoming exhausting, and routine. I was getting burnt out. But the thing about this semester is that there was light at the end of it. I was going to be free from driving 200 miles a day, and be in my student teaching placement, hopefully somewhat close to home. The amount of stress that I endured this semester was more than I thought I would have to manage. Between practicums, night classes, working at the winery, the single mom thing, and then a relationship on top of it all, I'm not sure ho

Does Size Matter?

I have always struggled with accepting my body size and shape. I have never been Barbie thin. My entire life I have always been bigger than my friends, teammates, you name it. It has been an issue that I've struggled with for a really long time. Right after my divorce I was super thin and was working out and teaching group exercises 3 times a week...I loved the way my body looked but I still wasn't happy. While life and stress makes my weight fluctuate, I still am active and enjoy working out. I cannot wait for the gyms to open back up so I have a place to go and lift. I've been running, and even bought a new pair of running shoes. But this post isn't really about me, it's about the idea of what others see my body as. I have been open to dating recently and have been on a handful of dates...none that really amounted to anything. There was one, but it was a total friend zone kind of 6 weeks. Great person, just not the right fit. I had a date this weekend and i