Skip to main content

Pre-school & Perfection

Today was a monumental day. K started her last year of preschool. With a birthday being in October, she has the wonderful opportunity of being in preschool for two years, instead of just one. I am very lucky to live in a town where we have so many great options for PreK instruction.

But today, I was a mess. I overslept, and forgot her new backpack at home as I was rushing out the door with my backpack for school. I got into the parking lot and realized, "Oh f*&%! I forgot her backpack!" Such a trivial item, but it would be so important to K. A and K had been waiting for me, at our intended meeting time of 7:55, because I insisted on being early to take pictures, and here I was the one who f'd up, and didn't wake up on time.

I was so focused on what I forgot to get done and didn't do, that I neglected to embrace the moment she was experiencing on her last first day of PreK. Thankfully, I remembered the "First Day of School" sign I bought two months ago. It has been sitting by the entryway door since then so I wouldn't forget it the first day. At least I did some planning ahead for something and did something right this morning! 

We took her first day pictures, she held her sign, and she was fine. She was perfectly fine, without having her backpack. It didn't even phase her that I was 6 minutes late, but I was feeling like a failure. We walked her into her classroom, and she was so comfortable and confident that I didn't even get a hug goodbye.

I walked out with A and we went our separate ways in our vehicles. I was off to school, and was running late at this point, with it being 8:15. My phone rang. It was A. "Drive safe," he said.

I started crying. "I feel like such a failure. I forgot her backpack, and I was late. I was late on her first day of school."

In that moment, I realized how pathetic I sounded. I was so worried about what I didn't do, that I missed out on the fact that it didn't really effect K in any way, and wasn't THAT big of a deal.

"She doesn't even need a backpack," he said.

I strive for perfection. It is part of my DNA. I have been known to be a little bit of a control freak, because I like to have control over the situation and know what to expect. Life was a little out of control for me for awhile, so now, I like having hold of the reins. I've gotten better about control, but today, my little imperfection, made me crumble to pieces....all because I was late, and forgot the backpack. So trivial (because I realize now how trivial this incident this morning really was).

As I drove to Moorhead I got to thinking. I thought, it isn't about having everything perfect. It isn't about what didn't go right. I should be thinking about what DID go well. I have an amazing almost 5 year old. She is beautiful and healthy. She has the rest of her life to worry about whether she has her backpack for school, because in the grand scheme of things, it is preschool, and they really don't need a backpack the first day. Will she remember that I forgot her backpack on her last first day of preschool? Probably not. Did it really change the outcome of her day? Not likely.

So many times PERFECT is what we see on TV, Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat. We hear what perfection should be. Especially at a time when there are too many pressures to even live up to.

Today I felt like a failure because I was late and forgot a backpack. But I really didn't fail, and I'm not a failure. A and I have done a pretty damn good job of raising our little Miss K. She is intelligent, kind-hearted, loving, caring, curious, self-aware, are just some of the attributes she has at a small little age of 4 years and 11 months.

"We've done good," I texted A.

"We sure have." he responded.

Today's pictures....and one from last year as a comparison to how much K has grown.


First day of PreK 2017 














I love my life, and where I'm at. I love all my amazing friends and family. I love that I am showing my little girl what perseverance, and hard work looks like. I love her smile and her infectious laugh.

First Day of PreK 2016
Miss K, I pray this for you my little girl: 
Embrace your day head on. Love with your whole heart, laugh everyday, and never, ever stop chasing your dreams. Never let anyone tell you that you can't do something, or that you will never be able to accomplish your wildest dream....because you child, are my daughter, and I know, you can do whatever you set your mind to.

Love always,

Mommy

Best of luck to students and teachers everywhere on a safe and fun 2017-2018 school year!

~A

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Infertility

So once again I attempt to start my blog on weight loss. However, I've entered a new chapter in my life. Babies. Well not quite yet, but we'll get there. Here's some history..... I was diagnosed with endometriosis in March of 2010, only 3 months after getting married. I had a laparoscopy and had 5-6 different areas. I continued treatment with birth control overlapping each month and when that didn't seem to help the symptoms I started on Lupron. For those of you that are familiar with this product you can attest to its wonderfulness as well as its downfalls. The Lupron put my body into menopause at the age of 24 :) Fun Fun fun!!!! On the first round of shots I did not have a hormone replacement pill which I wish I would have. I had shots every month for 3 months then took a break. In June I had a 3 month dose of Lupron again. The pain continued and I had a second laparoscopy with a tubular dye study in September, and here we are. Our game plan...... My OB/GYN wants to t

Flashback Friday (to two weeks ago...)End of Semester.....I made it

Every year at the start of the semester I say that I'm going to be better about blogging and updating. Well, once again, I've failed to post anything since September. Things tend to get a little crazy 4 weeks after the start of the semester and then I look back and think, "Where did the time go?" As always, I'll give you a recap of how the semester went down.... This post has been a long time coming. Again, I spent countless hours on the road four days a week. It was becoming exhausting, and routine. I was getting burnt out. But the thing about this semester is that there was light at the end of it. I was going to be free from driving 200 miles a day, and be in my student teaching placement, hopefully somewhat close to home. The amount of stress that I endured this semester was more than I thought I would have to manage. Between practicums, night classes, working at the winery, the single mom thing, and then a relationship on top of it all, I'm not sure ho

Does Size Matter?

I have always struggled with accepting my body size and shape. I have never been Barbie thin. My entire life I have always been bigger than my friends, teammates, you name it. It has been an issue that I've struggled with for a really long time. Right after my divorce I was super thin and was working out and teaching group exercises 3 times a week...I loved the way my body looked but I still wasn't happy. While life and stress makes my weight fluctuate, I still am active and enjoy working out. I cannot wait for the gyms to open back up so I have a place to go and lift. I've been running, and even bought a new pair of running shoes. But this post isn't really about me, it's about the idea of what others see my body as. I have been open to dating recently and have been on a handful of dates...none that really amounted to anything. There was one, but it was a total friend zone kind of 6 weeks. Great person, just not the right fit. I had a date this weekend and i