Skip to main content

Serial Swiper

In the world of online dating it is a swipe left or swipe right. Swipe right means you're interested, and a swipe left means no thanks. We all judge. We judge based on pictures posted to a profile. We judge based on the information provided in a profile, or lack there of. We judge on their height, their profession, and sometimes whether they have any pictures of themselves without sunglasses or a hat on! Right now, I'm a serial swiper. 

I've been open to dating and dating for at least six months now, but only got online with the famous dating apps a few weeks ago; Tinder and Bumble. Maybe I'm really still old school about how dating should be, but I feel like if you "match" with someone, the guy should be the first one to reach out and initiate a conversation. Now, if you are unfamiliar with some dating apps, there is an app Bumble, where if you match with someone, the female has to make the initial contact. However, after that initial contact, I still think the guy should initiate the first date.

I don't know how many times I have swiped left but I feel like it has been hundreds of times. Between Tinder and Bumble it is exhausting. I have matched with a large amount of people, but it usually just stops there. I've had a few dates but that's all they were. I've also had some really bad dates where I left shaking my head. I have learned a lot in the first few weeks of being online of how the game of online dating works. I'm a little more picky when it comes to meeting up with people. However, I have had luck with one individual, who gave me hope that there are still genuinely nice people who act like adults, can have a conversation, and have their shit together. I'm going to leave it at that and not go into details. Still waiting on that second date :)

There are days that I just want to stop swiping. There are days when opening up my phone and checking for new people is just not worth it. However, this is the new way to meet people. And I have. I have met some great people and have had great conversations. I'm still having those great conversations. Throughout my years of growth and roller-coaster of life, I have realized that I shouldn't have to settle for anything less than I deserve. I am truly holding myself to this. I'm at the point in my life where I'm done with the games. I'm done trying to be someone I'm not to try and fit into the life of a man who can't accept me for who I am.

I recently reconnected with a friend who I met when she was living in Alex working at the news station. You can follow her dating advice blog at platinumup.com or follow her on Instagram @platinum_up
She has some great dating advice on finding your person. I have reached out to her with my dating questions as I embark on this dating journey, and she has given me great advice! She also echos my mantra of not settling, because MY person will love every inch of me, and I shouldn't have to change who I am to fit their best version of me. My best version of me, is the person that is writing this blog right now. The person that has grown, and not allowed pain, conflict, and hair-pulling moments to stop her. I am fierce, lovable, creative, funny, fun, kind, and so many more things. I know I will find MY person. In the meantime, I will be over here swiping right and left to see if my next match leads me to that right person.

In a world where we can choose anything, choose to be kind.

XOXO

          ~A~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Infertility

So once again I attempt to start my blog on weight loss. However, I've entered a new chapter in my life. Babies. Well not quite yet, but we'll get there. Here's some history..... I was diagnosed with endometriosis in March of 2010, only 3 months after getting married. I had a laparoscopy and had 5-6 different areas. I continued treatment with birth control overlapping each month and when that didn't seem to help the symptoms I started on Lupron. For those of you that are familiar with this product you can attest to its wonderfulness as well as its downfalls. The Lupron put my body into menopause at the age of 24 :) Fun Fun fun!!!! On the first round of shots I did not have a hormone replacement pill which I wish I would have. I had shots every month for 3 months then took a break. In June I had a 3 month dose of Lupron again. The pain continued and I had a second laparoscopy with a tubular dye study in September, and here we are. Our game plan...... My OB/GYN wants to t

Flashback Friday (to two weeks ago...)End of Semester.....I made it

Every year at the start of the semester I say that I'm going to be better about blogging and updating. Well, once again, I've failed to post anything since September. Things tend to get a little crazy 4 weeks after the start of the semester and then I look back and think, "Where did the time go?" As always, I'll give you a recap of how the semester went down.... This post has been a long time coming. Again, I spent countless hours on the road four days a week. It was becoming exhausting, and routine. I was getting burnt out. But the thing about this semester is that there was light at the end of it. I was going to be free from driving 200 miles a day, and be in my student teaching placement, hopefully somewhat close to home. The amount of stress that I endured this semester was more than I thought I would have to manage. Between practicums, night classes, working at the winery, the single mom thing, and then a relationship on top of it all, I'm not sure ho

Does Size Matter?

I have always struggled with accepting my body size and shape. I have never been Barbie thin. My entire life I have always been bigger than my friends, teammates, you name it. It has been an issue that I've struggled with for a really long time. Right after my divorce I was super thin and was working out and teaching group exercises 3 times a week...I loved the way my body looked but I still wasn't happy. While life and stress makes my weight fluctuate, I still am active and enjoy working out. I cannot wait for the gyms to open back up so I have a place to go and lift. I've been running, and even bought a new pair of running shoes. But this post isn't really about me, it's about the idea of what others see my body as. I have been open to dating recently and have been on a handful of dates...none that really amounted to anything. There was one, but it was a total friend zone kind of 6 weeks. Great person, just not the right fit. I had a date this weekend and i