Skip to main content

Breakable

 If you've followed this blog since it's inception, you know that music, and music lyrics speak to my soul. I think I have had three playlists on repeat the last few weeks. I know is has almost been an entire year since my post on here, but I've also switched gears and started a new blog Behind These Blue Eyes, where I discuss my Long Covid diagnosis, treatments I've tried, and the road to recovery....or at least finding my new normal.

Other than the year I got  divorced, this last year has been the most difficult I've ever experienced. From jobs, to relationships, to life, and to health. I really thought the whole dating thing was over for me. I had accepted my independence, the freedom to make choices for me and me alone, and with how unenergetic I had been feeling, how did I really have time anyway for a relationship. Things happen when you least expect them....and I fell fast. Faster than I had ever before. It was too good to be true. I kept telling myself that I deserved this type of happiness. I deserved love where I was felt that I was a priority. But just as soon as I put myself out there, red flag after next starting showing up. I had sold my furniture, gotten rid of my bed, rearranged my house to make room. And I'm still without my king sized bed, or any furniture. Thankfully, I'm borrowing a small two-person recliner loveseat from my mom and dad. Just as quick as a romance can start, it can be over in a matter of seconds. Every person has their tolerance to what they can handle at the time.

I was at the Mayo in October to get the definitive diagnosis of Long Covid. I had already been battling the symptoms for over a year. Not everyone can deal with a chronically ill person, and that's okay. It truly does require a lot of time, effort, and focus. I think the best thing that came from ending the relationship was once again I locked all my feelings and emotions into a box because I knew, I had to take on this new life on my own. My parents have been a great help, but this isn't their fight to fight. It's mine, and one I have to figure out on my own.

It must be a Midwest thing about spring fever....I think around this time every year I decide that I'm ready to date again. I jump on an app for a hot second, then delete it. I seem to be repeating my old behaviors, as once again, I jumped on the dating apps to see what was out there, and let me tell you, there isn't much. Or at least the one's who are on the apps, don't really match up with what I'm looking for. I've decided that I don't have too high of expectations. I don't believe there is a prince charming who is going to give me the world. I do believe though, there is someone who should treat me like I deserve the world. If worse comes to worse, I have a back up plan with a friend when we are retired, we are going to move south together and grow old as companions; I'm okay with that.

I'm so lucky to have a wide variety of friends who are true friends. The type of friends that you can text after months of not talking and they text you right back, and always have the best advice. Last week was one of those weeks where all my emotions were coming out of my eyes in tears. I love that I work at home alone. No one sees me cry, unless my boss wants to have a quick meeting. Thankfully he doesn't point out my red splotchy face, and I wear my trusty baseball cap most days. I grew up during the days of the Mary Kate and Ashely Olsen twin movies, before the anorexia and drug problems. There's a quote in the movie "It Takes Two" that says: It's that can't eat, can't sleep, reach for the stars, over the fence, World Series kind of love." I asked them if this person gets bonus points from the BFFS if he makes a reference to this movie. Their responses were he must be legit if he knows that movie. Between the many memes sent back and forth and me providing more details in the end, this was their advice, "Although the It Takes Two Two passion is the dream, even more so - I hope you find the man who cooks you dinner, who snuggles K while reading chapter books at bedtime, who calls every night on his drive home, who can be your calm in your life storms. Someone consistent. Someone loyal. Someone you can depend on. The passion fades for all of us, but to find a TRUE teammate is the best gift. And I hope you find that."

These ladies have been though it all. To looking for love in all the wrong places, to supporting me in every endeavor I want to take on. I've been  the third wheel a lot, which is why I think I like being alone so much. I enjoy the quiet. I can manage on my own. At the same time, it's likely a coping mechanism from past trauma. If I don't have to rely on anyone else, then how can I get hurt. I know that not every date is going to lead to prince charming. And maybe I need to put less pressure on the whole idea of meeting and going out with someone new. Maybe I just need to enjoy the opportunity to learn about one more person who has a different perspective than I do. What's wrong with that? In the end, that makes me a better person being able to have different perspectives and connections.

My overthinking brain the last 4 days has been going over the night minute by minute. Over analyzing the things I said, I was too open, too honest. However, I was being me. I don't do games. I don't do the chase. If that's what someone wants, I'm not that person. I'm an adult, and don't have time for that. I truly believe you meet people in your life for a reason, whether positive or negative. They teach you something. You have to be willing to see it, and use the lesson in the future. You can only change for yourself, and not for someone else, to fit their mold of perfect.

Life is hard. I never thought it would be this hard. So here's to another lesson learned. A night where I haven't laughed like that in a long time. To a night where I let my hair down and relaxed. It was the most fun I have had in a long time. Sharing stories of life, love, and divorce. We all have a past, but it's finding that person that's willing to stand next to you for your future.

So yes, I'm breakable. I'm also resilient, and bounce back; not quite as quickly as I did in my 20's, but I'm still here, making a Lasting Impression.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Infertility

So once again I attempt to start my blog on weight loss. However, I've entered a new chapter in my life. Babies. Well not quite yet, but we'll get there. Here's some history..... I was diagnosed with endometriosis in March of 2010, only 3 months after getting married. I had a laparoscopy and had 5-6 different areas. I continued treatment with birth control overlapping each month and when that didn't seem to help the symptoms I started on Lupron. For those of you that are familiar with this product you can attest to its wonderfulness as well as its downfalls. The Lupron put my body into menopause at the age of 24 :) Fun Fun fun!!!! On the first round of shots I did not have a hormone replacement pill which I wish I would have. I had shots every month for 3 months then took a break. In June I had a 3 month dose of Lupron again. The pain continued and I had a second laparoscopy with a tubular dye study in September, and here we are. Our game plan...... My OB/GYN wants to t

Flashback Friday (to two weeks ago...)End of Semester.....I made it

Every year at the start of the semester I say that I'm going to be better about blogging and updating. Well, once again, I've failed to post anything since September. Things tend to get a little crazy 4 weeks after the start of the semester and then I look back and think, "Where did the time go?" As always, I'll give you a recap of how the semester went down.... This post has been a long time coming. Again, I spent countless hours on the road four days a week. It was becoming exhausting, and routine. I was getting burnt out. But the thing about this semester is that there was light at the end of it. I was going to be free from driving 200 miles a day, and be in my student teaching placement, hopefully somewhat close to home. The amount of stress that I endured this semester was more than I thought I would have to manage. Between practicums, night classes, working at the winery, the single mom thing, and then a relationship on top of it all, I'm not sure ho

Does Size Matter?

I have always struggled with accepting my body size and shape. I have never been Barbie thin. My entire life I have always been bigger than my friends, teammates, you name it. It has been an issue that I've struggled with for a really long time. Right after my divorce I was super thin and was working out and teaching group exercises 3 times a week...I loved the way my body looked but I still wasn't happy. While life and stress makes my weight fluctuate, I still am active and enjoy working out. I cannot wait for the gyms to open back up so I have a place to go and lift. I've been running, and even bought a new pair of running shoes. But this post isn't really about me, it's about the idea of what others see my body as. I have been open to dating recently and have been on a handful of dates...none that really amounted to anything. There was one, but it was a total friend zone kind of 6 weeks. Great person, just not the right fit. I had a date this weekend and i